Syntax difference European vs. Rest of the World

Hi everyone,

I am trying to make the DATEDIFF formula work.

Looks like this

DATEDIFF([d/"Model":Date1].[p/DAY];[d/"Model":Date2].[p/DAY];) -> system says, it received two arguments but is missing the third one. Now i add "day", i.e. it now looks like this:

DATEDIFF([d/"Model":Date1].[p/DAY];[d/"Model":Date2].[p/DAY];"DAY") -> system says "formula could not be computed. Try rewriting the formula". I assume I need to replace " with something else. I am using an European version, anyone have a clue? (I already tried 'day' or ' day ' without success)

Thanks!

Answers

• Hello Georg,

here is an example that worked for my on a very simple model:

DATEDIFF([d/Date_2] ,[d/Date_1] ,"Day" )

In my case Date 1 and Date 2 are basically day based dimension in terms of granularity.

You can in the formula editor always use the key combination CTRL+SPACE, then it will also show the available entries - including the options for the 3rd input.

Regards

Ingo Hilgefort, SAP

• Georg  0Georg 0
    edited January 16

Hello @Ingo Hilgefort,

Thanks for your quick reply.

Unfortunately,

DATEDIFF([d/Date_2] ,[d/Date_1] ,"Day" )

does not work at all. I get the message:

Formula could not be computed: datediff([d/"Model":Upload_date].[p/DAY], [d/"Model":Maturity].[p/DAY], "Day") . Try rewriting the formula.

It starts to work only if I use ; instead of , still cannot figure out what I have to put in for " at the end

E.g. if I use:

DATEDIFF([d/"Model":Upload_date].[p/DAY]; [d/"Model":Maturity].[p/DAY];)

I at least get:

Formula could not be computed: Function "DateDiff" expects 3 parameters, but receives 2. Try using the expected number of parameters. Try rewriting the formula.

This is driving me nuts.. 🤯

• By the way, if I do it like this:

DATEDIFF([d/"Test DATEDIFF":Date2]; [d/"Test DATEDIFF":Date];"Day" )

then system says I need to add properties (which I have done in all the examples above)

Why do you not need the properties @Ingo Hilgefort ?

• Hi Georg,

my dimension is modeled as an actual Date, so the property shouldn't be needed then, unless you want to use a different granularity from the hierarchy.

Regards

Ingo Hilgefort, SAP

• I solved it. The problem was, that the datediff formula works - at least for me - only in the formula editor when setting up a model, not if I want to create a calculated dimension or measure.